Broken Glass Jello or Cathedral Windows. However you call this fun-tastic treat, it sure is something the kids and the kids in us will enjoy. Look at the bright colours. Aren’t they attractive and happy-looking you just wanna say “aaaw” and then have a bite?Confession time. The first time I made this jello a couple of weeks ago, it did not turn quite right. I used the wrong gelatin to mix with the milk and added too much water that the jello was a way too wiggly. It was still edible of course and we ate it but I wanted to get the texture right. Second attempt and ta-dah! Perfect! So happy with the way it turned out.Ingredients
- 4 small boxes (3 oz. each) of store brand “gelatin dessert” in different colors. (I used raspberry, lime, orange and blueberry. Be creative and think colourful.)
- 1 (390g) can sweetened condensed milk (don’t get evaporated milk)
- 2 x 50g envelopes unflavored gelatin (This was the part I got wrong the first time. Instead of getting gelatin, I used “gelatin dessert”. Buy the gelatin you would normally use for making cheesecakes or mousse.)
1. For each flavor, dissolve one box of jello in one cup of boiling water. DO NOT follow the instructions on the box. Pour into a container and chill until firm. I chilled them overnight. 2. After chilling the four flavors, cut them into small blocks.3. Carefully mix the blocks in a 9 x 13 pan or a gelatin mold.4. In a separate bowl, sprinkle 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin into 1/2 cup cold water. After the gelatin blooms, add 1 1/2 cup boiling water and dissolve. Add the can of condensed milk. Stir and cool.
5. Pour cooled milk mixture over jello. Make sure the milk mixture is not warm or you will end up with colour streaks in the jello. I made the mistake the first time, got too excited and did not cool the milk properly, pour it on the jello blocks and sure enough got some coloured streaks in my jello.6. Chill it overnight and wake up to this exciting and colourful treat in your fridge!Sure enough, I had this jello for breakfast that morning.Recipe from The Food Librarian