Dark chocolate and chilli. Love those two together. Thanks to the Aztecs who first served chocolate as a drink and added chilli to make it a special beverage. So, what about a chocolate cream pie with a hint of chilli and espresso? Now that is absolutely one special dessert pie!
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 3/4 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 60 grams dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups whipped cream
1. Preheat oven to 190°C.
2. To prepare the crust, reserve 1 tablespoon crumbs for topping. Combine the remaining crumbs, 2 tablespoons sugar, cinnamon, and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a bowl, stirring well. Stir in egg white and butter. Press crumb mixture into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray. Bake at 190°C for 9 minutes or until lightly toasted; cool completely on a wire rack.
3. To prepare filling, combine 1/2 cup sugar and the next 7 ingredients (through egg yolk) in a bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Place the milk in a medium, heavy saucepan over medium-high heat; cook until tiny bubbles form around edge (do not boil). Gradually add hot milk to egg mixture, stirring constantly with a whisk. Return milk mixture to pan; cook over medium heat 10 minutes or until thick and bubbly, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add chocolate; stir until smooth.4. Place pan in a large ice-filled bowl for 10 minutes or until mixture cools, stirring occasionally. Spoon filling into crust, and cover surface of filling with plastic wrap. 5. Chill for 3 hours or until set; remove plastic wrap. Spread the whipped topping over filling; sprinkle with reserved cracker crumbs.We absolutely loved this chocolate cream pie! If you are not a big fan of chilli, you can omit it of course but really, try this with the chilli … scrumptious!Recipe from myrecipes.com