How do you turn any ready-made cake into a much more interesting dish? Drizzle it with a really delectable sauce. This cherry sauce served with either Swiss roll, chocolate fudge cake or for a lighter dish, a vanilla sponge cake makes a really delightful and easy to make dessert.Cherries are not only delicious but good for you, too. They are rich in pectin, a soluble fibre that helps to control blood cholesterol levels.You can prepare the cherry sauce in advance. Keep it in a container and chill in the fridge for up to a day. When required, reheat gently until warm and pour over the slices of your preferred cake roll.Ingredients
- 425g/14oz can black cherries in syrup
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 3 tablespoons orange-flavoured liqueur
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- ready-made cake or roll ( I used Swiss rolls for this), to serve 4
- icing sugar and cocoa powder, to dust
- plain chocolate curls, to decorate
1. Drain the cherries and pour the can juices into a small saucepan. Use a small, sharp knife to remove any stones from the cherries.
2. Whisk the cornflour into the can juices until well blended. Stir in cherries, liqueur and vanilla essence. Bring to the boil over a low heat, stirring constantly. Increase heat and boil rapidly for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened.3. Cut the chocolate Swiss roll into slices and divide between serving plates. Dust the cake with icing sugar and cocoa. Decorate with chocolate curls and serve with the warm sauce.Canned cherries in syrup are sold either whole or stoned. If you can’t find cherries, use any canned berries instead.