Sunday night was fun having the cousins at our place for a little get-together dinner. Pizza, pasta, garlic bread, bocconcini salad and even Italian beverages. I would have called it “An Italian Night” but then there was this very northern American dessert we all heartily enjoyed – Devil’s Food Cake. I know I could have made a Tiramisu to stick with the Italian theme but this recipe I found online was no ordinary devil’s food cake. As if it wasn’t indulgent enough, between two moist cake layers was a filling of cream cheese, whipped cream and crushed Oreo cookies. Oh, and yes, it was chocolate coated too. How sinful! 😀
Chocolate-coated Oreo Cookie Cake
You can use a ready devil’s food cake mix or make your own if you have a very good, tried and tested recipe for it. I used Duncan Hines Devil’s Food Cake Mix ( 2-layer size) and just followed the baking instructions on the package. For this Oreo cookie cake, instead of using the two cake layers to make one cake, I sliced each cake into halves and ended up with two Oreo cakes.
- 1 package devil’s food cake mix
- 120g semi-sweet chocolate
- 1/4 cup butter
- 220g cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups whipped cream
- 12 Oreo cookies, coarsely crushed
1. Prepare cake batter as directed on package. Cool cakes in pans for 10 minutes then invert onto wire racks. Gently remove pans; cool cakes completely.
2. For the cream cheese filling: Beat cream cheese and sugar in a large bowl with mixer until blended. Gently stir in whipped cream and crushed cookies.
3. For the chocolate coating : Microwave chocolate and butter in a microwaveable bowl on high for 2 minutes, or until butter is melted. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Cool for 5 minutes.