So my pork dish curiosity continues and last time, I roasted a good portion of pork belly and boy was I glad at how crispy the crackling was. What I loved most about this dish was the sticky caramel sauce served with the roast pork. Fresh ginger, chilli and coriander roots caramelised with caster sugar, onion and garlic really spiced up the sauce. The lime juice and fish sauce gave a distinctive Asian flavour to it.
- 1 kg piece pork belly
- 2 tbs vegetable oil
- sea salt
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 5cm-piece ginger, peeled, finely grated
- 1 long red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 bunch coriander, washed
- 2 cups caster sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbs fish sauce
- 2 tbs lime juice
- steamed jasmine rice, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 220C degrees. Pat dry pork belly skin with paper towel, place it in a roasting pan. Rub skin with 2 tsp of the oil and sprinkle with salt. Roast for an hour or until crackling is crisp and meat is cooked. Cover with foil to keep warm. Stand for 10 minutes before slicing.2. Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 3 minutes or until soft. Add garlic, ginger, chilli and chopped coriander roots and cook for 2 minutes. Add caster sugar and water. Stir until sugar dissolves and comes to the boil. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add fish sauce and lime juice. Reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes or until thickened.
3. Spoon rice onto plates, top with pork and sauce.Serve this with steamed greens like buk choy and coriander for an authentic Oriental dining experience at home.Recipe from Woolworth’s Fresh Magazine.
And now I want to acknowledge and thank some fellow bloggers who have nominated me for The Versatile Blogger and The ABC Award.
Thank you to “the tea lady” The Wanderlust Gene for the Versatile Award. I will be looking forward to reading your posts as you continue your journey through life 🙂
Thank you to Candy of The Lovely Buns for another Versatile Blogger Award. Your treats are lovely indeed and I am fascinated that you make your own soaps! I love hand-made soaps and would buy them from weekend markets when I get the chance 🙂
I would like to take this opportunity as well to thank my friend James (The Written Word) for the tag. Right back at you my friend. Love all your blogs … very moving thoughts and very cool music!
As I have made a few posts about The Versatile Award before, pardon me please if I will just do the The ABC Award this time. Thank you from the very pretty Shannon (love your smile :D) of Isle of Books for this award. We both love writing, reading and horses…but I am jealous because you have a horse and I don’t. 😀
Ok, so apparently I have to name 26 alphabetical things about myself and then pass it on. Will you all forgive me if I stop at letter C as it is taking me a long time to search for words to describe me. So to sum it up:
I am basically an Adventurous and Bubbly Cook 😀
And I am passing this on to three bloggers. Thought I’d do three so it rhymes with ABC. Oh dear, Corny would be a good word to describe me 😀
1. Karen – Back Road Journal – wonderful blog about her journeys and the food posts, love the rustic character to it. Wish I have an orchard too close to a 1730’s home. How cool is that? Not to mention the tiny cottage by the lake.
2. Pat – Rantings of an Amateur Chef – brilliant foodie! Love the different cuisines he has explored and cooked.3. Sav from Vegas and Maria from near Chicago a.k.a –Hungry Cupcakes – I have been following these two girls for some time now and really enjoy how crazy (in a good way of course) these two are about food. Love the energy of these two youngsters!