Unico hijo’s favorite and when he requested for this yesterday with the sweetest “Please, Mama” … how can I say no? 🙂
Previous times I made this dessert, it was made with plain meringue discs, one side coated with melted dark chocolate before spreading whipped cream on top of it. This time, I folded the melted chocolate in the egg white mixture. Also, instead of one big layers of meringues and berries, I made smaller discs, the size of an egg ring to make single serves. Pretty when served on individual small plates.
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 60g melted and cooled dark cooking chocolate
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1- 1/2 cups cream, whipped
- 250 g sliced strawberries and extra berries for decoration
- cocoa powder
1. Preheat oven to 150 C degrees. Line oven trays with baking paper. Mark 15 circles (I used egg ring as guide) on paper.
2. Place egg whites into a large, dry mixing bowl. Beat with electric beaters until soft peaks form.3. Gradually add the sugar, beating constantly after each addition. Beat 5 minutes or until thick and glossy and sugar has dissolved.4. Gently fold vanilla essence and cooled melted chocolate into the egg white mixture.5. Spread meringue mixture over marked circles, about 2 tablespoons each circle. Bake for 30 minutes or until crisp.6. To assemble layers: Spread 2 meringue discs each with whipped cream, then top with strawberry slices. Place one disc on top of the other. Finish layers with a meringue disc spread with whipped cream. Refrigerate for at least half an hour.7. Dust with cocoa powder just before serving. Decorate with extra strawberry if desired.The meringue discs can be made days ahead. Store in an airtight container, ready for use when you feel like having these layers of indulgence.
Recipe adapted from Family Circle Cheesecakes, Pavlovas and Trifles Cookbook.