Italian roasted quail with braised vegetables. I do not have much to say about this dish but simply divine! And that is without exaggeration! Promise! I think I will let the photos do the talking more this time.
This recipe feeds 3 big eaters or 6 small eaters.
- 6 quails
- 6 slices prosciutto
- 20g butter
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 baby fennel bulbs, trimmed and sliced thinly
- 2 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise, sliced thickly
- 4 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 1 large red capsicum (bell peppers), sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 medium lemon, cut into 8 wedges
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1 tbs fresh oregano
3. Heat butter in a large flameproof baking dish; cook quails, in batches until browned all over.
4. Remove quails from pan or baking dish. Place wine in same dish; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until wine has reduced to 1 tablespoon. Add fennel, garlic, capsicum, zucchini and stock; return to a boil.
5. If using a flameproof baking dish or fry pan that can go into the oven: Place quails on top of vegetables; roast, uncovered, in oven for 20 minutes. If using a regular fry pan : Transfer vegetables into a baking dish, then place quails on top of vegetables; roast, uncovered, in oven for 20 minutes.
6. Add lemon to dish, roast, uncovered, about 10 minutes or until quails are cooked through.
7. Remove quails and garlic from dish. When cool enough to handle, squeeze garlic from skins into the dish; stir in cream and oregano.
8. Serve quails on vegetables. Serve with bruschettini or any bread you like.