Stuffed capsicums (or bell peppers) are great and easy to make for a family meal or casual get-together. They are colorful, healthy and hearty meal with countless variations on the recipe including beef, chicken and vegetarian versions. Very versatile. I was having families for dinner and a couple of them are lacto-vegetarians (diet includes dairy but not eggs). My boss was kind enough to share her stuffed capsicum recipe. Original recipe includes thin beef sausages but for obvious reason, I omitted the beef so my lacto-vegatarian cousins can have them. They enjoyed it and ended up asking for the recipe.
I made the recipe again for dinner but this time with the sausages. But instead of the beef sausages, I used Spanish chorizo to add a bit of spice to it and give that smokey flavor, which I love.
This recipe is enough to fill 4 medium size capsicums.
Prepare your filling ingredients.
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 thin beef sausages, cooked and chopped (or as I have said, I used 2 chorizo sausages, about 200g)
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp tomato paste (purée)
- 315g/10oz canned tomatoes, drained and mashed
- 440g/14oz canned red kidney beans, drained
- 1 cup/250ml cream (double or thickened)
- 1/3 cup rice, cooked