It is summer but last week’s weather was like winter all over again. A few slices of bread sitting in the pantry so I thought I’d butter them up and make one of my son’s favorite treats – bread and butter pudding. With little divine additions to this all-time favorite, he enjoyed it more.
Chocolate chip bread and butter pudding with butterscotch sauce. Did I entice your sense of taste enough just with its name? No? Maybe this will …
This recipe serves 4.
- 125g butter, softened
- 8-10 slices white bread
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup chopped chocolate pieces
- cinnamon sugar
- ground nutmeg
For the butterscotch sauce
- 125g butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 300ml carton cream
1. Liberally butter a 10cm x 20cm loaf dish. Set aside.
2. Remove bread crusts. Spread butter generously over slices of bread.
3. Whisk eggs and sugar in a bowl. Gradually blend in milk and vanilla essence.
4. Place a layer of buttered bread over the base of prepared dish. Sprinkle with a little chocolate.
5. Pour over custard to just cover the layer.
6. Continue layering bread, chocolate and custard until dish is full. Finish with bread and pour remaining custard.
7. Place into a baking dish. Add enough warm water to come halfway up the sides of the dish.
Prepare butterscotch sauce.